Thursday 19 April 2012

Fallen giants - the view from the Forest

In the second of my guest blog series, work colleague and part-time television star Tom Bolton has taken the baton, raised the bar, and done numerous other cliched things as well as blogging about what it's like supporting a team who were twice champions of Europe, and more recently gracing the third tier of English football. Read on...


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well making my first football column since the Forest Forever fanzine disappeared, Thommy Cooper is back. Video killed the radio star & in my case the blog killed the fanzine... or did it (await link here for future blog from Nelson Columns no doubt). Thanks to NC I can again feel that my team haven't been forgotten and lost to the lower echelons of the football league and can bore you all with my view of what its like to support former European champions with their recent struggles. 


NC asked me a question that I often get from Arsenal or Chelsea fans, 'What is it like to have won the European Cup?' However the question never ends there, like a double barrelled last name it is quickly followed by 'and be where you are now?' Even now my only reply is that I am proud. Although it will never happen again I am proud of what my club achieved, to this date only another twenty clubs have reached these giddy heights and only eight teams have bettered us. When I was growing up everybody seemed to know Forest because of Brian Clough, nobody seemed to care about Europe or the early format of the Champions League, probably due to the ban and lack of English interest, the emphasis was on our two FA Cup victories, League title and proud history stemming from being one of the oldest clubs in the world.


Clough was later to perform a cameo in Glee



Forest boast a proud claim to 'firsts' the first team to use floodlights, the first team to have a referee use a whistle, the first & only English team to play an FA Cup semi outside of England, first team to wear shin guards (Leeds were a dirty team even before they existed), first team on a televised Sunday match, first team to have shirt sponsors displayed on TV, which reminds me even to this day my purchases are still affected by Forests shirt sponsors, my electronics are by Panasonic, I wear Wrangler jeans, my beers have usually incorporated Skol, Home Ales or Labatt’s. I'm still paying off my Capital One credit card and am relying on my Victor Chandler betting account to help me pay it, as for Pinnacle our best sponsors ever that’s a blog in it's self. We also had a part to play in the current existence of AC Milan & Arsenal - we are the reason they play in red. 



The next word I use is relieved. I’m relieved that Forest were fortunate enough to have had a manager that paired with the club. I always believe that a club and a manager are a finely matched pair like some sort of destiny where everybody excels it only seems to happen in the lower leagues now such as Sturrock with Plymouth (well his first spell anyway) Holloway with Blackpool (granted Blackpool were a huge club in the 50's but in the new era Holloway has pushed them beyond all expectations) and looking back to earlier days Revie at Leeds, Chapman at Arsenal, Shankly at Liverpool.

After starting in January 1975 Cloughie soon accumulated an impressive trophy haul; 
Football League champions - Division One 1978 
FA Charity Shield winners 1978
Football League Cup winners 1978
European Cup winners 1979 
Football League Cup winners 1979 
Football League Division One runners up 1979
European Cup winners 1980
European Super Cup winners 1980
Football League Cup runners up 1980 

Yet again, setting records and firsts along the way. Forty-two League games unbeaten, smashing the previous record, the first English team to win at the Bernabeu and at the Mestalla. I am just so relieved that we have achieved these honours, in some ways it doesn’t matter if we never do it again because we’ve had the fortune to have been there. 99% of clubs would surely swap with us.

Third word – Disappointment. As time goes on I watch the records disappear. Of course records are there to be broken but what gets me the most is that we are not there to defend them. In nearly fifty games we were not present to try and stop Arsenal smashing our unbeaten run. When we held the record for the largest away win in the Premiership (7-1 v Sheffield Wednesday), we gifted it on a plate to Manchester United and eleven minutes against super-sub Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (nearly as good a super-sub as Jason Lee – he’s got a pineapple on his head). 

 His other wig is a grapefruit

The other disappointing factor is that our achievements are often overlooked. My other East Midland supporting friends all say that the midlands teams are often overlooked and do not get the recognition of the London and big clubs and in some ways I agree. I often see commentators with their facts and figures when they completely miss out Forest.

Sadly Forest are now where they were at the turn of the last century, living an ineffective existence and struggling to pay the bills despite still pulling good crowds. A few years ago we dipped to an all-time low with two seasons in division three (League One if your younger than 25) getting knocked out of cups by Accrington ‘who are they’ Stanley and Woking. Being a Forest fan I can't forget the past, we have been lucky to have been spoilt. So I have to think sensibly, as a neutral. In the club's 150 year history was this a lucky fluke, a positive blip? Taking the Brian Clough era out of our history the norm seems to be mid-table mediocrity in the second tier along with the other Midlands clubs (yes that includes – Coventry, Lesta, The Sheep, Birmingham, West Brom and Wolves).

It doesn’t matter how bad we get or how much we flirt with life in the conference (A Sheep fan once gloated that FOREST stood for Fighting Off Relegation Every Sunday Teatime) we have done it, that trophy will always be in our cabinet and the history books will always display our achievements. In recent years with the growing focus on the Champions League that people seem to recognise our achievement and how good that team were. Whenever I go on holiday people have recognised the Forest logo all over the world. That is why more than any of the other feeling Pride is the one that I feel the most (however after a few beers and a defeat my answer might be somewhat different).

I can sit back and be proud that we have twice won the most sought after club trophy in the world.  John McGovern as a captain is up there with; Jose Maria Zarraga, Paulo Maldini, Miguel Munoz, Franco Baresi, Jose Aguas Armando Pichhi, Emlyn Hughes, and Clarence Seedorf (who was not captain of his teams). Only Beckanbauer and Carlos Puyol have bettered McGovern’s achievements of a European Cup winning captain. 

 Nottingham's other famous export

As I finish this blog I glance up to the Chelsea v Barcelona game, I think Forest would have had no problems against these Messi would have taken one sandwich from Burns & Lloyd, Drogba would have been no match for Viv Anderson and neither defence would have coped with Robertson. But we will have to make do with having embarrassed Keegan and Hamburg in 1980.

As I said it's just the not being there that hurts and those that forget what we achieved. Prior to Man U beating Bayern in 1999 we had won the cup twice more than United and Barcelona, now not a lot of clubs can say that.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think you can do better? Have an idea for a blog/article that would fit in nicely to the NC agenda? Feel free to let me know via Facebook or Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment