Friday 4 May 2012

Classic football shirts - put it to a vote

When revisiting a blogs, I always seem to return to football kits. As a one-time collector (I had every England shirt from 1985-2011 at one point, as well as several from other clubs and countries), it's something of a hobby. But now, I've been presented with an opportunity which I hope regular readers will help with...

The fantastic chaps at Classic Football Shirts have given me a discount code to spend at their shop, as well as a cracking deal on a Finland shirt (blame Mrs NC). But what do I use my discount on? In the interests of remaining fairly neutral, I'm going to list four shirts that I have my eye on, and hopefully you'll point me in the right direction.

 Rich couldn't decide what shirt to buy so threw it open to the masses

I'll be collecting votes by Twitter, Facebook and comments below, and if you could spread the word to get as large a turnout as possible, I (and CFS!) will be grateful, availability and size permitting of course. The winning shirt will be purchased and modelled accordingly. If you want to chip in to hire a real model as well, that'd be welcome...

Athletic Bilbao 1996 home





Despite my previous blog about people supporting Bilbao being like those who came late to the Wire, that is one beautiful shirt. Plus feeling obliged to put at least one La Liga shirt on the list, I had to put one that historically doesn't get on with Barcelona, and currently has a beef with Real Madrid.







Ajax 1991 home

The first foreign club I loved to watch, whether it be on Futbol Mundial or strangely timed European Cup highlights. The club that featured Bergkamp, Cruyff, Overmars, Litmanen and Van Basten... And how better to celebrate Bergkamp by the shirt from his spell at the club.












Dortmund was the last European away game I went to, and definitely a favourite. The ground was amazing, the fans create quite the din. I'm sure friend of NC Steve B will vote for this, but I've opted for the away shirt because I don't think I could pull off the home version of the time... (They were the Champions of Europe in 1997).











Fiorentina 1992 third

Back in 1999, Arsenal had the crazy idea of playing European home games at Wembley. One of the visitors was Fiorentina, a team I'd loved watching on Football Italia. Batistuta and Laudrup were awesome, as were the violet shirts. As above, purple is a stretch, but their rare white third shirt to replace their 'swastika' effort is a simple beauty.











If any special shirt becomes available during the vote, I'll add it on afterwards and let you all know. I'm also compiling a hunt for some other shirts that I can't get just yet...

Voting closes on May 31st. Don't forget to share/RT with your friends and followers, I need plenty of opinion!

5 comments:

  1. It's a toss up between the Ajax and Fiorentina shirts, but while the Ajax is a classic, I'm going for the Fiorentina one as I like the colour combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. vote for fiorentina.. the shirt just awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiorentina - love the 7UP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta be Dortmund - great time there was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be tempted by the Dortmund shirt - oh yeah, I was in their club shop!

    ReplyDelete